Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mix-and-Match Oatmeal Cookies

For some reason I got a craving for oatmeal cookies but I couldn't decide if I wanted oatmeal raisin, or oatmeal chocolate chip, or a little bit of everything. Do any of y'all relate to this dessert dilemma? No? Okay, I guess it's just me. Anyway, I found a oatmeal raisin recipe that sounded tasty and didn't produce like 6 dozen cookies. Because I will confess, if the sweets are in the house, I will eat them. All. Relate to this? Again, maybe it's just me.
This recipe makes thick, chewy cookies. I made the recipe without adding in the extras. Then I separated the dough into 3 bowls and added golden raisins to one, mini chocolate chips to the other, and Reese's Pieces to the last. You can add your favorite nuts, m & m's, dried fruit, or anything your little heart desires. Mix-and-match what sounds tantalizing to the tongue. I'm thinking white chocolate cherry next time....

Mix-and-Match Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Smittenkitchen.com
 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups oats (I used instant. Any oat will work but the thicker the oat the more texture it brings)

Mix-ins of your choice

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the oats.
Here is where I separated the dough and mixed in what I wanted. I did not measure how much I added. I just mixed in enough until I thought it was evenly distributed.   
Put the dough in the fridge to chill while you clean up your mess. Well, I always have a mess, don't you? Maybe I'm alone again on this one. Anyway, let the dough chill for 10 minutes to help create that thick, chewy cookie.  
Form into small-medium sized balls. Place the cookies two inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes (your baking time will vary, depending on your oven and how cold the cookies were going in). Take them out when golden at the edges but still a little undercooked-looking on top. Let them sit on the hot baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool. Makes 2 dozen.
You must eat one straight from the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment