Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chocolate Gravy

Valentine's Day is coming up y'all! I think the best V-Day presents are those that fill your tummy and warm your heart. So why not start the day with some breakfast in bed with your honey?
Chocolate gravy has been a Christmas morning tradition for my family for as long as I can remember. Until I met my husband I thought my family was the only family who ate chocolate gravy. In the whole world. I was wrong. So now we eat chocolate gravy more than just Christmas morning and I thought this would be such an easy, but decadent, Valentine's breakfast.

3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
2 cups milk
1 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all your dry ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Add milk and whisk constantly over medium to low heat.
The gravy will begin to thicken and get bubbly. Whisk in the butter and vanilla.
Remove from heat and pour over biscuits. I used canned biscuits because ummm...they are convenient, they don't make a mess like homemade biscuits do, and they taste pretty dang good. I did use the Pillsbury Simply Buttermilk Biscuits (no high fructose corn syrup and no artificial flavors or colors) which makes me feel a little bit better. I should add that if you use these I recommend you bake them in a round pan which will increase your baking time. Anyway....dig in! 

Don't be ashamed to lick your plate clean.

For more Valentine's inspiration check out these goodies by Bakerella. Think I can make them all by the 14th?

No comments:

Post a Comment